1/2 c. Shortening or Butter
2 c. Sugar
2 T. Anise seeds
2 t. Baking Powder
1 t. Vanilla
1 t. Salt
4 c. Flour
1. Start out by preheating the oven to 350degrees.
2. Mix the shortening and sugar together.
3. Add the eggs, salt, baking powder, vanilla and anise seeds and mix.
3. Mix in the flour until well combined. It will be sticky.
4. Spread the dough onto a foil or parchment lined baking sheet, so it's about 1" thick. (Like so.)
5. Bake for 25 minutes.
6. Let it cool for about 5 minutes, and then transfer to a cutting board. With a sharp knife cut into about 3/4" strips like so.
7. Continue to cut the biscotti. Don't fret if the top cracks a little. It's all good...and goes with the territory.
8. Place the biscotti on their side on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Then turn to the other side and bake another 10 minutes. (I had to use two baking sheets once the biscotti were cut, just fyi.)
Also try dipping them in chocolate like this...