Butternut Squash Soup:
4 lb. butternut squash
1 small onion
1.5 c. water
3 c. milk, skim or 1%
salt and pepper to taste
(Immersion blender or blender/food processor needed)
Lime Sour Cream:
1 c. nonfat sour cream
1 small lime
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes, or until tender.
2. While the squash is baking, boil 2 c. of water on the stove. Peel and cut up carrots. Then dice the onion. Once the water is boiling put the carrots and onion in, and cook for about 15 minutes or until carrots are tender. Drain.
3. When the squash is done baking, place it on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes. Then once it has cooled done somewhat scoop out the seeds and discard.
4. Scoop out all the flesh of the squash and place in a large stockpot.
|Steps 1, 3 & 4.|
5. Then add the cooked carrots and onions, as well as the water. If using immersion blender blend it up right in the pot. If using blender/food processor put smaller amounts in at a time.
6. Continue to blend until it is smooth and creamy like the picture below.
7. Put the pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Then turn down to simmer, add milk and stir to combine. (It should look something like below!) Simmer for 30minutes or up to 2 hours.
|Steps 5, 6 & 7.|
8. Put the sour cream, zest of the lime and lime juice in a bowl.
9. Whisk until combined, and viola! Delicious lime sour cream! :)
|Steps 8 & 9.|
10. Serve in bowls with a dollop of lime sour cream in the middle! Enjoy!