I did two with the crusts on the bottom, sides and top. Then I did two with crust just on the bottom. I thought I would try it both ways, but I am not a big fan of crust anyway, so I prefer the ones with the crust just on the bottom. But feel free to experiment! Also you could put a streusel on top of the apples instead of a top crust. Oooo that would be fabulous! :)
Here's the recipe and keep in mind that you could use any filling in place of the apples. :)
~4 little 4oz. canning jars or 4 little 4 oz. oven safe containers.
~Crust (Or you can use your favorite crust recipe.)
1 c. flour (I used whole wheat, you can use whatever you have!)
1 t. butter (Yep, really is a little t for teaspoon.)
3-5 T. cold water
Pinch of Salt
2 apples, cored and diced
3 T. sugar
1/2 t. cinnamon (I prefer Ceylon, but use what you have!)
1. Preheat oven to 375degrees. Then start on the crust. Combine the butter, salt and flour until it is somewhat combined. Then add the cold water by the Tablespoon until it is all moistened and forms a ball.
2. Start filling the jars with pie dough. I just pressed it in with my fingers, but it would probably be better if you rolled it out, cut it and then put it inside though. :)
3. Mix up the diced apples, sugar and cinnamon.
4. Fill the jars with apples. Do this a layer of apples at a time to ensure it will be full after it is cooked. So be sure to press down each layer as you go.
On my first two I did them as above. Then I did my other two like this with just a bottom crust. :)
Again, either way you do the crusts be sure to layer the fruit and press them down until full.
6. Just about ready to bake!
Another view of being ready to bake. Don't you think they are SO cute? Especially the ones without the crust up the sides.
7. Before you put them in the oven be sure to vent any top crusts you have!! Then bake them at 375 degrees for about 25-30 minutes! :)
Just getting out of the oven. See how the crusts look slightly golden? (If they had been made with white flour they would be golden, but since it's whole wheat it only looks slightly different than before it was baked.)
Crusty apple pie. Yum.
Or my fave, the less crust apple mini pie! :) Enjoy!! But be sure to be careful these little cuties come out of the over SUPER hot! But yummy!! :)
Just in time for Labor Day.