Rice (and veggie) Stuffed Acorn Squash
2 Acorn Squash
3 c. Rice, cooked
1 c. Carrots, diced
1/2 c. Onion, diced
1/2 c. Celery, diced
Cheddar Cheese optional for top
1. Wash the acorn squash, dry and carefully cut them in half. Then with a spoon (or your hand) remove the seeds and set aside. (You can roast and eat them just like pumpkin seeds! :)
2. Place 2-4 halves of the squash in your microwave for about 12 minutes. (Depending on the size of your microwave, you may just have to do it one squash at a time.)
3. While you are waiting on the micro, sauté the carrots, onion and celery in a tablespoon or so of Olive Oil. Then remove from heat.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Once the squash has been cooked in the micro, it will be time to scoop out some of the innards. Start with a fork and go gently around the edge, and then down the middle. Don't take out too much of the flesh because it is needed for stability. Leave about 1/2" of flesh all the way around. Save the flesh for the filling.
5. In a large bowl start mixing up the filling. Add the rice, squash, carrots, onions and celery and mix. Then add salt and pepper to taste. It should look something like this.
Serve and enjoy! :)