Additional: You can also do smaller loaves. See below. :)
Here's my recipe:
1 c. Warm Water
2 t. Sugar
2 Pkg. Yeast
7-8 c. Flour ( I use half All purpose and half Whole Wheat Pastry Flour. )
1 c. Sugar
3/4 c. Butter/Margarine
1 t. Lemon Extract
1.5 c. Warm Milk
Poppy Seed Filling:
1 lb. Poppy Seeds, ground. ( You can grind them easily in a coffee grinder! )
1 c. Hot Milk
1/4 c. Butter/Margarine
2/3 c. Sugar
2 T. Honey
1 t. Vanilla Flavoring
1/2 lb. Seedless Raisins
1. In large bowl dissolve yeast and 2 T. sugar in 1 c. of warm water.
2. Stir in sugar, butter, eggs, lemon extract and milk to yeast mixture.
3. Add flour until a soft and sticky dough ball forms.
4. Knead for about 5 minute incorporating more flour, so it is workable and not sticky.
5. Grease bowl and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
6. While dough is rising mix together ingredients for the poppy seed paste in a separate bowl. Set aside.
7. After the dough has risen for 45 minutes, punch it down and lay it out on a floured surface.
8. Divide the dough in half and put half back in the bowl.
13. Transfer to baking sheet and eggs wash.
14. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.
15. It should look something like this when it comes out!
You can make a half batch of the above recipe and then split into 3 pieces. Then roll out each piece, spread the filling and continue as directed above. :)