Here's a homemade cake recipe for ya! (One you can use all whole wheat flour in and no one will even know too!) And I've included just one of the many options for icing! :) If you like mint and chocolate you're in luck with this one! But you could use any icing or frosting for this chocolate cake! :)
What you'll need for the chocolate cake:
2 oz. Unsweetened Chocolate
1/2 stick (4 T.) Butter
1 t. Vanilla
1/2 t. Baking Soda
1/2 t. Baking Powder
1/2 c. Sugar
1/2 c. Milk
2 Eggs, beaten
1 c. Flour (All-Purpose, Whole Wheat or combo thereof)
What you'll need for the Andes Mint Icing:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease the bottom of your pan to prepare it for the cake. Then grab a medium saucepan and slowly melt the butter and chocolate stirring constantly.
2. Once the chocolate is melted remove from heat and stir in the vanilla, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and milk. Then gradually mix in the beaten eggs until well combined. Then using a whisk, mix in the flour until well combined.
3. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes.
4. It should look about like this when it's done. Make sure it spring back up when you gently press the top of it! :) Now if you're a good girl or boy, you'll wait till the cake has cooled and then frost it....
I didn't wait though...smelled too good...so I cut a couple pieces and very carefully took them out of the pan! Then I took a pic so you'd see about what it will look like. This is a corner piece. :)
5. Unwrap some Andes Mints and place them in a microwave safe bowl. (Corelle works well...as you can see:) Then microwave them until melted. Be sure to check every 15 seconds or so and stir. It only took 45 seconds altogether, for my (15) mints to melt.
Frost away with the melted Andes Mint Icing! Then if you feel nice, you can take this first piece to your hubby. (That's what I did...)
Then I proceeded to make one for myself...and eat it...
..and a second piece...but in my defense I cut very small pieces tonight. :)
6. Frost away with the Andes Mint Icing you just made! If you're more patient than I, then yours will look much better than my 1/4 eaten cake... :) But que sera right? It was worth it. And still looks ok...sort of... Chocolate and Mint though...perfect combo for this 1st Day of June! :)
BTW It's my sister-in-law's bday and also my oldest sister's sister-in-law's bday today! So Happy Birthday to A and C! Hope you had a great day! :)