If you are on Pinterest there is a good chance you have seen some recipes floating around called "saltine toffee" or something of that sort. Well, they continued to catch my attention so today, when I decided to make some kind of Christmasy goodie I tried some. To my surpise it was delicious and super easy! No candy thermometer, nothing. In fact, I was so skeptical of it...I didn't even take any pics at all till I had eaten two pieces of the finished product! Since there are so many recipes that are quite different you can feel free to google around, but this is what I did and it worked really well, so I recommend it! :) Best part is that it can be ready to eat in about 30 minutes from the start! Great huh?
Easy Peasy Toffee:
1/2 sleeve Saltines
1/2 c. brown sugar, packed
1 stick butter, salted
2oz. chocolate (milk or semi sweet)
toppings (nuts, more saltines, etc...)
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and line a 1 lb. bread pan with foil or parchment paper. Then put one layer of saltines down breaking them if necessary to cover the bottom.
2. Put butter and brown sugar in a sauce pan on medium high heat until butter is melted. Continue by stirring until it come to a boil. Once boiling set a timer for 2 minutes and continue to stir the toffee mixture.
3. After the 2 minutes of boiling, remove from heat and evenly pour over the saltine lined pan. Place in 400 degree oven to bake for 5 minutes.
4. While the toffee is in the oven, soften the chocolate in the microwave. So once the toffee comes out of the oven you can evenly spread the chocolate on top of it. While it is still warm and gooey you can sprinkle nuts, saltine pieces or anything else you would like on top.
5. Let set for 20 minutes in the freezer. Then break up into desired pieces using a knife. Enjoy!